Syllabus says homework is 30%, midterms 30%, final 40%, and your brain says 'so what do I need on the final?' This tool handles the weighted average; the section below shows how to flip it into the 'what must I score' question.
Updated August 15, 2026, after a fresh review, with updated visuals and links.
Fill up to five items with their weights. If your weights don't sum to 100 yet (semester not over), it normalizes and warns you rather than giving up.

Weighted averages, worked through
Multiply each score by its weight, add those products, divide by the total weight: an 88 at 30% plus a 92 at 30% plus a 75 at 20% gives (2640 + 2760 + 1500) over 80, which is 86.25 so far.
The reverse question, 'what do I need on the final?', is the same equation solved for the unknown score: target 90 with weights above and a 40% final means the final needs (9000 minus 6900) over 40, or 52.5: relax, you made it already.
Dropped-lowest rules and curves sit on top: compute your weighted grade first, then apply the professor's mercy policies in whatever order the syllabus states.
Worth remembering
- Screenshot your LMS gradebook occasionally: instructors update late, and knowing your standing beats guessing.
- Small weights misread: a 5% quiz category at zero costs exactly 5 points, people routinely over-panic about tiny categories and under-study for the 40% monster.
Frequently asked
How do I compute my grade if weights don't total 100?
Divide by the total weight actually used: (sum of score-times-weight) over (sum of weights). The tool does this automatically and notes when weights are partial.
What grade do I need on the final to pass?
Solve backward: (target times 100, minus your weighted subtotal so far) divided by the final's weight. The worked example above walks the exact numbers.